20 Things You Will Learn
1. Detailed review of NFPA 54 issues that regard purging of natural gas piping.
2. Chapter 1, scope and administration, discussion, what is covered under this document and what is not.
3. Chapter 5, materials, design, components
4. Issues surrounding allowed fittings and types
5. Issues surrounding threaded connections you should be aware of.
6. Chapter 8, inspections, testing and purging
7. Issues surrounding venting and discharge of gases, deminimus quantities and sizes of systems
8. What mediums can be used for pressure testing and what cannot, careful to document findings.
9. Control of purging systems and discharging of purged gases.
10. Pressure testing and leak checking requirements including what pressures to hold and for how long.
11. Having written purging procedures
12. Combustible gas indicators versus combustible gas detectors, whats the difference?
13. Detailed review of NFPA 56 issues that regard purging of natural gas piping.
14. Having a written purging plan, what’s to be in it, and where to find examples.
15. What does having a safety validation mean? Who can do it?
16. Over 40 things that you should consider to make reduce risks when there’s a release of gas or a purge process taking place.
17. Considerations for pipe cleaning, when to do it, how its done, references for safe practices.
18. Three (3) important best practices to have in your purge plan that can make a huge difference in how long it takes and for impacting risk reduction.
19. Training requirements for everyone participating in a purge.
20. Purging into service and out of service techniques and requirements including exclusion zones considerations.