20 Things You Will Learn
1. Description of pressure bolted boundary connections as a system, (fasteners, flanges, and gaskets).
2. ASME guidelines for pressure bolted boundary connections identified and discussed.
3. Explanation of fasteners and how they work and why they provide clamping force.
4. Fastener ratings and strength explanation, markings on fasteners explained
5. Mechanical properties of fasteners explained, yield strength/tensile strength and its significance.
6. Studs and how they are marked and the use of studs versus threaded rod
7. How to properly assemble a threaded fastener, things to check for.
8. Shear, torsion, tension, and compression stresses and how they impact fastener strength.
9. Looking at fasteners and understanding the failure mode.
10. The role of gaskets in proper joints, gasket material types
11. Five (5) important gasket selection factors
12. Understanding the language written on flanges and verifying that you have the right ratings and styles.
13. Flange grooves, how they seal, important issues surrounding cleaning them and knowing if they can be reused.
14. Flange alignment and hanger loadings and understanding how to assess the forces and factors that can make a flanged joint more successful and reliable.
15. Torques and torque sequences required for reliable joints, including considerations for washers and lubrication.
16. Tightening patterns and their importance and where to find them based on the job you are doing.
17. Bolted joint procedures, how to create them, examples, why they are important
18. Eight (8) factors for why bolted joints lose clamping force and fail.
19. Alignment techniques for spiral wound gaskets
20. Corrosion factors related to fasteners and flanges and how they impact clamping force.