20 Things You Will Learn
1. Steam basics including latent heat and sensible heat.
2. Steam tables and what they say and how to use them.
3. Steam cycle loops and single pressure level described.
4. Multiple steam pressure loops and how they work, (condensate at difference pressure levels).
5. Steam headers and multiple take offs
6. Description of flash tanks and how they work
7. Pressure control valves and pressure reducing stations, single versus parallel
8. Steam balance diagrams and how to set one up, users, consumers, generators
9. Steam turbines and let down stations and the role of attemperators and desuperheaters
10. Objectives for managing a complex steam system with a steam balance diagram
11. Water hammer causes and effects, and minimizing it
12. Steam system start-up precautions, (supervised versus automatic)
13. Condensate drainage strategies and how to conceptualize where traps are needed
14. Drip leg sizing and spacing requirements
15. How and where to do steam system branch take-offs, eccentric versus concentric fittings and their role.
16. Description of steam traps and their role in condensate drainage.
17. Description of 3 of the most popular styles of steam traps: (float and thermostatic, bucket and thermodynamic disk type).
18. Problems that happen from failed traps
19. Trap survey techniques including infrared and ultrasonic
20. Condensate pumping stations, electric versus pneumatic, issues with each.